In 2013 TCC was added to the National Register of Historic Places by The U.S. Department of the Interior. Following is some information from the NRHP application:
1916 – 1917
The Tryon Country Club golf course was originally laid out in 1914 and secondary sources attribute the design to golf course architect Donald Ross. It is very likely that he designed the course which has a nine-hole layout with the holes routed in a predominately east-west direction in the valley formed by Little Creek. The design utilizes two different sets of tee placements within the tee boxes, which allows the golfer to play the same fairway and green twice for a distinct eighteen-hole round. This solution provides an eighteen-hole course in a half the space. The course continues to be played in this manner, golfers choosing their tee location based on whether they are playing the back nine or the front nine. The golf course has Bermuda grass fairways, Bermuda and zoysia grass tee boxes, and bent grass greens.
When the course was originally constructed, members entered from Horseshoe Curve Road, where the entrance to the practice range is today. A small house, which no longer stands, served as the clubhouse. In 1922, when the present clubhouse building was erected on the north side of the property, the membership decided to renumber the holes on the course in order to start and finish at the clubhouse. In 1940 the club determined that the original sand greens should be replaced with turf. Grasses that had been developed recently to withstand the hot southern climate and required less maintenance became popular for golfcourses. Before converting to grass putting surfaces, sand greens were built as rectangular flat surfaces, which were oiled and raked regularly to keep the sand in place. At same time five tee boxes—for holes three, five, seven, eight, and nine—were moved or elongated slightly to accommodate the stronger golfer. The new greens also required slight adjustments in dimension and location, but the overall length of the holes remained constant.
As originally designed the fairways were narrow and composed of native grasses. The holes were laid out to follow the natural contours of the land, permitting water drainage to flow along its usual path to the creek. Of seven log bridges originally built to cross Little Creek, only one remains in place on the eighth fairway. Twelve bridges are scattered throughout the course, including seven modern cart bridges with low parapets of stacked timbers that were constructed in 2009-2010 to replace earlier structures; two rock-faced culverts in the seventh fairway; two wooden footbridges located in the fairways of the second and eighth holes; and the surviving log bridge.